The AirPods Pro is characterized by its distinctive design and new features. It is a great addition to the Apple family, but like all products, it has its own quirks. One of these is the tips.
The ear tips that come with your AirPods Pro may not fit perfectly, or you may simply want to change them out for a different color or style. Whatever the reason, here is a quick guide on how to change your AirPods Pro tips as well as how you can find the perfect fit right when you buy them.
What to Do When You Can’t Get AirPod Pro Tips Off
First off, you have to learn how to take your AirPods Pro tips off. If you can’t get them off, then you’ll never be able to change them. To remove the ear tips from your AirPods Pro, start by pulling firmly at the base of the ear tip with your fingers.
Next, be sure not to tear or damage the ear tip if you plan to use it again in the future. Finally, remove the ear tips from your AirPod Pro and store them safely.
Some AirPod Pro tips are almost impossible to remove. When this happens, you can try a few things to get them off, such as wrapping a paper towel around the end of the tip that’s giving you trouble.
Then, use something like a pen or an ice pick to push down on the center of the paper towel. The friction from the paper towel should help the tip come off.
How to Remove and Replace the Ear Tips on Your AirPods Pro
1. Remove AirPods Pro tips
As mentioned, you can remove the tips by gently pushing and pulling on them. You may need to use a little bit of force to get them off but be careful not to pull too hard or you could damage the hardware.
2. Choose the right-sized replacement
The AirPods Pro comes with three different sizes of ear tips. A side-by-side comparison with the old tips can give you an idea of what size you can try next.
3. Attach the new AirPod ear tips
To attach the new ear tips, align the tip of the ear with the oval-shaped connector on the AirPods. Push the ear tip onto the connector with your fingers at the base. You will hear a click when it is securely attached.
4. Take the AirPods fit test to ensure a comfortable fit
The AirPod fit test is an important step to take before you start using your AirPod Pro. This test ensures that the AirPods Pro tips fit snugly in your ear and create a seal that is comfortable for you.
It uses both the earbud tips and the AirPods Pro’s built-in microphones to analyze the fit of each ear. If an AirPod isn’t seated properly in your ear, the test will let you know.
How to Run the AirPods Pro Ear Tip Fit Test
To properly run the AirPods Pro ear tip fit test:
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app and select Bluetooth.
- Under “i” next to the name of your AirPods Pro, tap Ear Tip Fit Test.
- Tap Continue, then tap the Play button.
- If the test suggests adjusting or trying a different ear tip, try adjusting your AirPods Pro and testing again. Then try a different size. You might need different sizes for your left and right ears
How to Choose the Right AirPod Pro Tip Size
It can be tricky to know which size AirPod Pro tip is right for you. After all, they’re not one-size-fits-all like the earbuds themselves. The good news is that Apple has made it easy to find the perfect fit. All you need is a mirror and a ruler (or a measuring tape).
Here’s what to do:
1. Start by holding an AirPod Pro up to your ear—you’ll want to use the longer, narrower stem.
2. Look in the mirror and position the AirPod so that it’s pointing directly into your ear canal.
3. Use the ruler (or measuring tape) to measure the distance from the top of your ear lobe to the bottom of your ear canal.
4. Once you have that measurement, refer to Apple’s sizing chart to find the right tip size for you:
- If your measurement is less than 1 centimeter (about 0.4 inches), you need the small tips.
- If your measurement is between 1 and 2 centimeters (about 0.4 to 0.8 inches), you need the medium tips.
- If your measurement is greater than 2 centimeters (about 0.8 inches), you need the large tips.
Do AirPods Pro have removable tips?
Yes, the AirPods Pro earbuds have removable silicone tips. There are three different sizes that come with the earbuds, and you can test out the hearing experience for each size by doing an Ear Tip Fit Test. To do this test, go to the Ear Tip Fit Test menu in the Settings app on your iOS device.
Can you replace the rubber on AirPods Pro?
It is possible to replace the rubber on AirPods Pro, but it is a fairly delicate process. To do so, you will need to remove the case and lift the ear tips off of the earpiece. The rubber can then be replaced by following these simple steps.
How can you tell if AirPod pros are fake?
When trying to spot a fake AirPod Pro, you should look for three things: the ear tips, the Ear Tip Fit Test compatibility, and the packaging. The ear tips are important because they help determine the best fit for your ears.
The Ear Tip Fit Test can help you determine if the ear tips are too small or too large. The packaging should include the medium tips by default. If you see a different size, it is likely that the AirPods Pro is fake.
How often should you change your AirPod tips?
You should clean your AirPods Pro ear tips with a damp cloth regularly, and replace them when they start to feel worn or if they become dirty.